Director of Development
Director of Development, The Salvation Army of Broward County
The Director of Development, working in partnership with the Area Commander (CEO) is responsible for all fundraising and development activities for The Salvation Army in Broward County.
The Director of Development has primary responsibility for maintaining and expanding the foundation needed to grow a multimillion-dollar budget through the solicitation of direct mail, major gifts, county and state grants, special events, and corporate and foundation support. Partner with the area commander and board members on all major fundraising initiatives.
- Managing all functions of the development department, including volunteer and community and media relations, supervising staff of two.
- Identification of prospects (foundation, corporate, individual and government sources) and development of appropriate strategies for cultivation and solicitation. Create and implement plans for funding and production of proposals for appropriate sources working in conjunction with other departments.
- Work with direct mail vendors to maximize funding and donor satisfaction. Oversee direct mail program and management of donor database, delivering all donor benefits, reports and acknowledgements to individuals, corporations, and foundations.
- Work closely with the Advisory Board in areas of fund raising and board development; assist with identification and recruitment of new board members.
- Oversee planning and production of marketing materials.
- Monitor all donor information; provide and present statistical analysis to board and senior leaders.
- Develop and implement a stewardship program aimed at cultivating deeper ties with donors.
- Monitor and report regularly on the progress of the development program.
- Identify, develop, and mentor the development team.
- Proven ability to identify, cultivate and sustain relationships with individuals, corporations, and foundations that lead to successful solicitations for financial support and move existing donors toward increased levels of giving.
- The successful candidate will have experience with funders of all kinds, ranging from major foundations to high-profile individual donors. Strong network in philanthropy, public policy, and the non-profit sector.
- Demonstrated ability to strategize, set, and meet fundraising goals and work effectively with donors, from prospect development through to the cultivation and closing of gifts.
- Self-starter who is comfortable driving change and developing and training staff to maximize outcomes.
- Strong interpersonal skills and a collaborative, energetic approach. Desire to develop deep working relationships with members of the leadership, development and program teams that enhance collaborative thinking, philanthropic partnerships.
- Maturity, good judgement, analytical skills, and the ability to think critically; make decisions and flexible working style; sense of humor; strong interpersonal skills; team player.
- Familiar with the local philanthropic community as well as with both conventional and evolving trends and technologies in fundraising.
- Minimum of 7 years of successful experience in development. Bachelor’s degree required, CFRE preferred.
How to Apply:
Please send cover letter and resume to Tennille.Swarath@uss.salvationarmy.org